When it comes to happiness and success in life, emotional intelligence (EQ) matters just as much as intellectual ability (IQ). Emotional intelligence helps you build strong and healthy relationships and achieve success with both personal and career goals.
Emotional intelligence (EI) has been defined as the ability to recognise one’s own and other people’s emotions, to discriminate between different feelings and label them appropriately, and to use emotional information to guide our thinking and behaviour.
Research has shown that:
- up to 90% of the difference between outstanding and average leaders is linked to their emotional intelligence
- EQ is twice as important as IQ and technical expertise combined, and is four times as important for overall success
Emotional intelligence affects all areas of our life:
Work performance – Emotional intelligence can help you navigate the social complexities of the workplace, lead and motivate others, and excel in your career.
Physical health – High stress levels, and a lack of awareness around this, can lead to serious health problems. The first step to improving emotional intelligence is to reconnect with your body and learn how to reduce stress.
Mental health – Uncontrolled stress can also impact your mental health, leading to anxiety and depression. If you are unable to understand and manage your emotions you may be adversely affected by mood swings, and an inability to form strong relationships can leave you feeling lonely and isolated.
Relationships – Understanding emotions and how to moderate them enables you to express how you feel and understand how others are feeling. This allows you to communicate more effectively and forge stronger relationships, both at work and in your personal life.
The key competencies of Emotional Intelligence are:
- Self-Awareness – The ability to recognize and understand your moods, emotions, and drives, as well as their effect on others
- Self-regulation – The ability to control impulses and moods
- Motivation – The passion to pursue goals with energy
- Empathy – Awareness of others’ feelings
- Social Skill – Proficiency in managing relationships
Emotional Intelligence training will teach you why emotional intelligence is so important and how to effectively regulate emotions so as to promote emotional and intellectual growth. This full day training workshop will give you the fundamental building blocks to boost your own EQ by mastering these key skills.
Call us at Mindfulness Trainings for further information on Emotional Intelligence Training or to discuss your workplace training needs. Ph: 0438 670 761